IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IES) coordinates standards through their Standards Technical Committee.
- Recommend Standards of Engineering Practices to be followed in Fields of Interest of the IES;
- Coordinate and facilitate standards across the technical activities of IES
- Assist the IES Technical Committees that generate and develop appropriate standards in its field of interest, for processing by the IEEE Standards Committee, and ensure it is in accordance to IEEE policies;
- Monitor and report to the AdCom on Standards in the Fields of Interest of the IES that are proposed or established by other organizations.
These technical fields of interest covered by the IES Technical Committees address the latest developments in intelligent and computer control systems, robotics, factory communications and automation, flexible manufacturing, data acquisition and signal processing, vision systems, and power electronics. The Society continually updates its program of technical activities to meet the needs of modern industry.
The Standards committee coordinates through sub-committees associated with other Technical Committees for standards are being focused or developed in their areas; such as sensors which is currently being pursued.
Current Sub-committees are:
- Automotive Standards: Joachim Taiber, Chair. Associated with TC on Automotive Technology
- Industrial Agents Standards: Antonio Valentini, Chair. Associated with TC on Industrial Agents.
- Sensors Standards: Kiyoshi Ohishi, Chair. Associated with TC on Sensors and Actuators.
- Robotics Standards: Tetsuo Kotoku, Chair. Associated with TC on Controls, Robotics and Mechatronics.
Objectives of the sub-committee on standards are:
- Identify and distinguish activities in these standards that may impact the work (academic and industry) directions of society membership.
- Assist in developing publications and presentations on standards where they are valued by IES membership
Conferences, Papers and Standards
The Standards Group facilitates standards-oriented articles representing the relevant areas covered by the Technical Committees in the IE Magazine. Guest editors will be sought to shepherd authors and articles of relevance to the IES membership to keep them updated on emerging standards and works in progress. The group also formulates special sessions at IES conferences to focus on standards topics.
Continued progress will be carried out by the Standards Group to further enhance and highlight industrial standards - past, present, and future - to keep the membership abreast of technologies that impact their technical areas of interest.
Active Standards currently being pursued under active status by the committee is a joint PAR proposal on IEEE 1451 sensors co-sponsored together with the Instruments and Measurements Society (IMS).
Victor Huang, Better World – Chair
Michael Condry, Intel –Co-Chair
C.J. (Allen) Chen, Innovatech Solutions – Secretary
Lei Chunxia, Schneider R&D Center Automation
Armando Colombo, Schneider-Electric
Ulrich Kaemmerer, Schneider Electric Gmb
Pat Fasang, Altera
Aleksander Malinowski, Bradley University
Gustavo Monte, Universidad Technologica Nacional Agentina
Tetsuo Kotoku, ISRI Japan
Kiyoshi Ohishi, Nagaoka Univ. of Technology
Antonio Valentini, Ooneida
Jaochim Taiber, Clemson University
Milos Manic, University of Idaho