IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IES) coordinates standards through their Standards Technical Committee.
CURRENT IES ACTIVE STANDARDS ACTIVITIES - PLEASE SEE:
- IEEE 21451-001 PAR - Recommended Practice for Signal Treatment Applied to Smart Transducers (Click here to Current Activities)
- IEEE IES Standards Procedures and Processes (Click here to IES Standards Procedures and Process)
- Recommend Standards of Engineering Practices to be followed in Fields of Interest of the IES;
- Coordinate and facilitate standards across the technical activities of IES
- Assist the IES Technical Committees that generate and develop appropriate standards in its field of interest, for processing by the IEEE Standards Committee, and ensure it is in accordance to IEEE policies;
- Monitor and report to the AdCom on Standards in the Fields of Interest of the IES that are proposed or established by other organizations.
These technical fields of interest covered by the IES Technical Committees address the latest developments in intelligent and computer control systems, robotics, factory communications and automation, flexible manufacturing, data acquisition and signal processing, vision systems, and power electronics. The Society continually updates its program of technical activities to meet the needs of modern industry.
The Standards committee coordinates through sub-committees associated with other Technical Committees for standards are being focused or developed in their areas; such as sensors which is currently being pursued.
WE ENCOURAGE THE IES TC CHAIRS TO JOIN US AND FORM A SUB-COMMITTEE ON STANDARDS TOGETHER. PLEASE CONTACT THE STANDARDS TC CHAIR OR SECRETARY!!
Current Sub-committees are:
- Automotive Standards: Joachim Taiber, Chair. Associated with TC on Automotive Technology (TC Chair: David Dorrell)
- Industrial Agents Standards: Thomas Strasser, Chair. Associated with TC on Industrial Agents (TC Chair: Paulo Leito).
- Sensors Standards: Kiyoshi Ohishi, Chair. Associated with TC on Sensors and Actuators (TC Chair: Yasutaka Fujumoto).
Objectives of the sub-committee on standards are:
- Identify and distinguish activities in these standards that may impact the work (academic and industry) directions of society membership.
- Assist in developing publications and presentations on standards where they are valued by IES membership
Conferences, Papers and Standards
The Standards Group facilitates standards-oriented articles representing the relevant areas covered by the Technical Committees in the IE Magazine. Guest editors will be sought to shepherd authors and articles of relevance to the IES membership to keep them updated on emerging standards and works in progress. The group also formulates special sessions at IES conferences to focus on standards topics.
IES Standards Policies and Procedures document is available. (Click here to IES Standards Procedures and Process). Please avail yourself of the policies and procedures by reviewing the document.
Continued progress will be carried out by the Standards Group to further enhance and highlight industrial standards - past, present, and future - to keep the membership abreast of technologies that impact their technical areas of interest.
Active Standards currently being pursued under active status by the committee is a joint PAR proposal on IEEE 1451 sensors co-sponsored together with the Instruments and Measurements Society (IMS).(Click here to Current Activities).
IES Standards Procedures and Process
The following two documents describe the IES Standards Procedures and Process:
1. The IES Standards Working Group Policies and Procedures (P&P)are detailed in IES_2011.pdf
2. The IES Standards WG P&P has been approved by the IEEE Standards Association as shown in is described in 0212recs.pdf
The Standards Committee is currently coordinating the following standards related activities:
1. Working PAR-P1451.00 (now called IEEE 21451-00] PAR. Recommended Practice for Signal Treatment Applied to Smart Transducers.
- Approved PAR by IEEE-SA (See P145.001 )
- PAR Working Draft document (See IEEE_P1451V10_DRAFT_R4.pdf).
- A short presentation of the PAR description and Working Group (See face_meeting_viena_12-11-13_v3)
2. Working Group - IEEE 21451-001 Working Group, Gustavo Monte, Chair. We encourage our IES members and TC members to join the Standards Working Groups and actively participate in the IES Standards activities. For more Working Group information, please see the following:
- Working Group Call for Participation (See PrintMessage_CFP_P1451_corremail)
- Working Group Development Plan (See IEEE_21451_development_plan_v1)
A list of past activities (eg, workshops, etc)and a list of WG meetings are provided as follows:
- Workshop at IECON 2012, Montreal-IEEE-SA Standards Workshop for IES (See IES_Flyer_Final.pdf)
- Official Working Group Meeting - WG Meeting 1
- Working Group Meeting Presentation (See wg_10dic_presV1.ppt)
- Guidelines for IEEE-SA Meetings - (See preparslides.ppt)
- Survey for WG SubGroup (SG) participation (See survey_21451_001v2.doc)
- Working Group Meetings have been sectioned by SubGroup Meetings, where these meetings have been held on:
- 2012 - August 22, August 27, December 10 (Official WG Meeting)
- 2013 - May 14, June 18, July 9, July 30, October 7, October 16, October 29, November 12 (at Vienna, physical and remote meeting).
Officers and Membership
Chair - Victor Huang, Better World
Co-Chair - Michael Condry, Intel
Secretary - C.J. (Allen) Chen, Innovatech Solutions
Joachim Taiber, Clemson University (Automotive SC Chair)
Gustavo Monte, Universidad Technologica Nacional Agentina
Thomas Strasser, Austrian Inst. of Technology
MVP Technical Activities
Lei Chunxia, Schneider R&D Center Automation
Armando Colombo, Schneider-Electric
Ulrich Kaemmerer, Schneider Electric Gmb
Pat Fasang, Altera
Aleksander Malinowski, Bradley University
Tetsuo Kotoku, ISRI Japan
Kiyoshi Ohishi, Nagaoka Univ. of Technology
Antonio Valentini, Ooneida
Milos Manic, University of Idaho
Valeriiy Vyatkin, University of Auckland
Yen-Shin Lai, National Taipei University of Technology, Taiwan
Hiroaki Nishi, Keio University, Japan
Ryogo Kubo, Keio University, Japan
Hideki Hashimoto, Chuo University, Japan
One may contact Victor Huang, the chair or secretary of the IES Standards Committee by sending email to